Crash Stats In Canada
Crashing Causing Injury
Approximately 368,396 people were injured in land based motor vehicle crashes in Canada in 2006. Of the 368,396 people injured, an estimated 75,374 of these injuries were incurred in an impaired driving crash.
Crashes Causing Death
Approximately 3,122 people were killed in land based motor vehicle crashes in Canada in 2006. Of the 3,122 people injured, an estimated 1,278 of these fatalities were incurred as a result of impaired driving.
Crashes Causing Property Damage
Approximately 2,029,300 motor vehicles were involved in property damage crashes in Canada in 2006. Of the 2,029,300 motor vehicles involved, an estimated 216,480 were as a result of impaired driving, which is approximately 593 per day.
Transport Canada’s Reported Stats for 2000
According to Transport Canada's report The Alcohol-Crash Problem in Canada: 2000, there were 981 fatalities as a result of alcohol related crashes in 2000. This figure includes pedestrians with alcohol present in their blood stream as well as off-road vehicles crashes. The following are some important statistics on alcohol related crashes in Canada in 2000.
^ To Top
- Approximately nine out of every 10 individuals killed in alcohol related crashes (87 %) were in the drinking driver's vehicle (in other words either the passengers or the driver).
- Approximately nine out of every 10 motor vehicle drivers killed in alcohol related crashes (88 %) were male.
- Approximately 62 % of snowmobile operators killed in crashes in 2000 tested positive for alcohol consumption.
- Approximately 49 % of other off-road vehicle operators killed in crashes in 2000 tested positive for alcohol consumption.
- More than half, approximately 56 %, of drivers killed in single vehicle crashes tested positive for alcohol consumption
- Approximately 20 % of drivers killed in multiple vehicle crashes tested positive for alcohol consumption.
- There were 420 pedestrian fatalities due to alcohol related crashes in 2000. Of these 420, 38 % of those with their alcohol levels tested had been drinking, and the majority of them had BAC levels over 0.08.